Meet our first lovely inspirational figure of the semester – the one and only Dr. Andrea Everard, our chapter advisor!
Dr. E has been associated with Gamma Sigma Sigma since Spring 2007, and was inducted as an Honorable Member in Spring 2008. We asked her to answer a few questions about her involvement in Gamma Sig to get to know her better:
Q: What is your favorite thing about Gamma Sig?
A: “The truly amazing women that make up Gamma Sigma Sigma. Each and every one of you is so special, so unique in your own way… and that is what makes Gamma Sigma Sigma so extraordinary!! UD is lucky to have you among its students and I am even luckier to be your Faculty Advisor.”
Q: How do you embody Gamma Sig’s unity in service spirit?
A: “I try to make the world a better place by helping out those who are less fortunate, those who need a helping hand. A few things that I can think of through which I try to make a difference:
- Several times a year I team up with a Marketing professor and conduct Food Drives – average of 1000 cans per collection (donations made to Holy Family Church in Newark, Emmaus House and/or Food Bank of Delaware, depending on need).
- I have participated in Relay for Life since 2004
- From 2004-2012, I volunteered weekly (served dinner every Wednesday to the homeless/needy) at the Sunday Breakfast Mission, a homeless shelter in Wilmington, DE.
- From 2006-2009, I volunteered twice a month (6 hours) at the Lutheran Community Service (LCS) Food Pantry in Wilmington, DE.
- I keep a permanent Food/Non-Perishables Donation box outside my office
If someone needs my help, I do whatever I can to make myself available (whether it be time, effort, money, goods – it all counts!”
Q: How did you hear about Gamma Sig?
A: “In the Spring of 2007, I was urgently “recruited” to be your chaperone at Spring Formal… a favor to a former student of mine because without a chaperone there could not be a Spring Formal…and for some reason your Faculty Advisor at the time was not going to be able to make it to White Rose Ball… no commitment, a one-time deal, nothing more than that!! HA!! Little did I know what I was getting into… meeting so many wonderful women… who, one good deed at a time, one person at a time, one project at a time, one term at a time… will CHANGE THE WORLD… AND MAKE IT BETTER!!! Of that, I have no doubts… in many ways, you already have.”
How great is that? We are so lucky to have Dr. E with us and we are so thankful for all the dedication and hard work she has put into this organization. This is why she is not only this week’s inspirational figure, but a permanent inspiration for all of our sisters. We love you Dr. E!