Remember your first pledge meeting where all of these crazy things were happening and you weren’t quite sure what was going on? (Seriously, what was up with all of the talking in sync and wearing white?!) Even though it was definitely weird & overwhelming, one of the many great surprises was the little gift you received!
Now that you’re a sister, you don’t get the gifts at your meetings each week (bummer, right?), but you do get a chance to be a secret for one of our new little babies! Being a secret is so much fun! You basically get to spoil someone rotten for a semester, and then you get a gift back in return at activation! How great is that?
It’s pretty daunting to be a secret though… you’re probably worried that you don’t have the money to do it, or you aren’t creative enough. But don’t worry! I’m here to help! I’d like you to know that for the Beta Iota pledge class, I had 4 different secrets (eek!) and between all 4 of them, I only spent $50 for the semester. Good news: you only have to be ONE person’s secret! (The Beta Iotas were special & there were approximately 5 million of them…thankfully, that probably won’t happen ever again!)
So, now you’re probably wondering how to be a secret on a budget without being Martha Stewart, and again, it’s pretty easy! Here are my top 5 secret gift ideas:
- Personalized Piggy Bank: Buy a plain white piggy bank from Michael’s ($3.99 for one, OR $9.99 for three if you get together with a couple friends!) and then decorate it with sharpies! Add your secret’s name, some letters, maybe draw a cute face! This could be a great place for her to start collecting can tabs (and if you want to be really generous, add a bunch of can tabs in for her!)
- Candle: Walgreens sells great smelling candles for pretty cheap ($1.99 for one, or 3 for $5 if you get together with a couple friends!). My favorite way to package these was to wrap it in tissue paper tied with a ribbon, and it looks absolutely adorable! Make sure you pick out a great smell or even her favorite color!
- Mani/Pedi Kit: Michael’s has a really great section full of great little gift items, and one of my favorite finds was a mani/pedi kit, complete with everything you need for a mini-spa day for yourself! When I went, it was only $1, so I added in a pair of fuzzy socks and bundled it together with string. If you can’t find this at Michael’s anymore (they change that section around all the time!), check the Dollar Store on Main Street – I’ve seen similar kits there. Every girl loves to pamper herself, so why not help your secret out?
- Tumbler: This one is a bit more ($6), but I think it’s definitely worth the splurge! Ambitions on Main Street has adorable customized tumblers, so you can add her name or letters (or really anything you want!) to a tumbler in her favorite colors. It’s definitely something she’ll appreciate, and super practical!
- Candy: Find out her favorite candy & get her three king-sized bars. It might sound goofy, but if you stack them together and tie them up with a ribbon, she’ll love you for helping her satisfy her sweet tooth!
I hope this inspires you to be a secret, and have fun spoiling your MITten! Be creative, and she’ll absolutely love whatever you get for her!
PS. Sisters, you can find the Secret Sign-Ups here!